Tuesday 18 June 2013

Pink Lemonade by Midas Vape

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Portions of this review are quoted from my review of Midas Vape's RY4. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/ry4-by-midas-vape.html Quoted passages are in italics.

Lemonade takes a number of different forms and means different things to different people, depending on where they are in the world. I'm led to believe that in the United States, Lemonade is a beverage whose ingredients consist of water, lemon juice and sugar. In Australia and the United Kingdom (the locales with which I'm familiar), Lemonade is a carbonated drink sold in cans, whose flavour in my opinion, bears little resemblance to lemon. In these countries, the beverage known as Lemonade in the US is called "homemade lemonade". I personally prefer the uncarbonated variety.

Pink Lemonade is the US type of lemonade with some form of red colouring added. According to Wikipedia, the pink colour is often achieved with the addition of "raspberries, cherries, red grapefruit, grapes, cranberries, strawberries, grenadine or artificial food dye". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade

Here's a recipe for Pink Lemonade for those of you, who having read my introduction are hot and bothered. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/old_fashioned_pink_lemonade/

Midas Vape https://www.facebook.com/MidasVape offer their own very refreshing take on Pink Lemonade in vaporous form.

The Midas range includes RY4, Spiced Summer Nut (tobacco with "light nutty undertones"), Spiced Winter Nut (tobacco with "rustic nutty undertones"), Peach, Cinnamon Roll (rich, buttery cinnamon roll), Vanilla Cupcake, Cinnamon Candy (bold and sweet), Toffee (smooth and luscious), Cinnamon Chill (light cinnamon with menthol), Glacial Inferno (intense cinnamon and menthol), Glacial Menthol (double intense menthol), Icy Peach (intense menthol, light peach), Menthol (clean menthol, sweet finish), Peppermint Lime (strong peppermint, light lime) and Pink Lemonade.

The entire Midas range is available from Vape Revolution, each in 20ml bottles at $12.00, in nicotine strengths of 0, 6, 12, 18 and 24mg. There doesn't appear to be any option to specify PG/VG ratios but the bottle I have in my hands is a 60/40 mix.

The bottle is a clear glass with a black, plastic screw top cap with a built in dropper. This makes for easy accessibility and transfer of the liquid into your preferred device. The downside of this is that the cap isn't childproof, so vapers with children around will need to take extra care in the storage and use of the Midas liquids. The label is a silver metallic paper with the word "MIDAS" in blue across the top. Further information on the label includes: the name of the liquid, PG/VG ratio, nicotine strength in mg, an ingredients list a warning that nicotine may be harmful to your health, advice to keep away from children and pets and the instruction, "DO NOT DRINK".  The bottles also arrive with a tamper evident, plastic seal.

The colour of the liquid is a semi-opaque Goldenrod yellow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_yellow#Goldenrod and has the viscosity and texture of a light cooking oil. The aroma is that of a fresh, uncut lemon.

I'm vaping Pink Lemonade in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod with a freshly charged 18650 battery. As I inhale, I immediately apprehend both sweet and sour notes throughout my mouth. The sweet notes precede the sour by a fraction of a second and each plays against the other, so neither predominates. As I draw in a shallow breath of fresh air to conclude the inhalation, the flavour of lemon reveals itself. Slightly softened, as if it were diluted with water and sweetened with castor sugar (superfine sugar) and not through lack of flavouring on the mixer's behalf. Sustained inhalation gives the impression of a fine grained tingle on the tongue. As I exhale, the lemon flavour grows slightly in intensity until it subsides gradually in the aftertaste. Also found in the aftertaste is that singular, citrus tang on the tongue.

The taste of Midas Vape's Pink Lemonade conjures for me the images and sensations of hot Saturday afternoons. The smell of freshly cut grass and the distant sounds of children playing under a sprinkler. My parents sitting sweatily in front of the rotary fan watching the tennis. Some of us drinking coke; the rest of us drinking homemade lemonade. I can still hear the ice cubes tinkling in the glasses as we each shift in our torpid discomfort and the feel of the condensation on the outside of the glass dripping onto my t-shirt.

I remember a hot summer evening when I was in my early twenties... a storm was approaching, but it always seemed to feel hotter right before the storm struck. I was sitting next to an open window, watching Werner Herzog's, Aguirre: The Wrath of God and drinking homemade lemonade. As the film's climax approached, the storm hit and I remember the relief of the cool breeze that the cold front brought with it.

A simple pleasure; Lemonade, but it's these small, simple pleasures in life that attach to meaningful memories and make us the people we are. This is what Midas Vape's Pink Lemonade does for me. I hope it does something similar for you.