Sunday 26 May 2013

Apple Pie by Decadent Vapours

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product.

Preamble

Image used with permission.
The word "decadent" has special significance for me. As an art student, some 23 years ago, I was very inspired and influenced by the Decadent Movement of the late nineteenth century. Decadence was epitomised by a celebration of elegance, beauty, artifice and a life rooted in the imagination over nature, Realism (another art and literary movement) and fundamentalist materialism. Writers and artists associated with this period were Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Baudelaire, Arthur Rimbaud, Gustave Moreaeu, Odilon Redon and Gustav Klimt. The man in this photo, Peter Cole, the founder of Decadent Vapours looks like he would have fit right in. I'd suggest that the fact that he chose the name Decadent Vapours for his company speaks to an understanding of the significance of artifice not only to the Decadent Movement, but to the art of vaping as well. I struggle to think of a single flavoured vapour that isn't an artificial adaptation of a flavour found elsewhere, whether it be some form of foodstuff, beverage, or tobacco. Having said this, some e-liquid producers are better at delivering flavoured vapour than others. From what I can tell so far, Decadent Vapours do it very well!

The Review

Apple Pie by Decadent Vapours http://www.decadent-vapours.com/en/ is available in 10 (£4.95) or 30ml (£14.95) bottles at nicotine strengths of 0, 8, 11, 18, 24 and 36mg and PG/VG ratios of 100/0, 0/100 or 50/50.

The 10ml bottle that I received is an easily squeezed, vivid green plastic with a childproof, black plastic, screw-top cap. The dripper is a 1cm long plastic needle.  The label contains a wealth of information, which is as follows: the name of the liquid, the brand name, the words "Premium E-Liquid", the quantity of liquid in ml, nicotine strength in mg, the base liquid (PG, VG or both), the batch number, a use by date, an ingredients list, the Decadent Vapours contact details, warning symbols, a tactile triangle which complies with EU law regarding the sale and storage of toxic substances, first aid advice, storage advice, and an advisory suggesting that the product not be sold to, or be used by persons under the age of eighteen years.

The colour of the liquid is a clear amber and the aroma is that of a freshly baked Apple Strudel.

I'm vaping Apple Pie (11mg, 100% PG) in an Igo-L with a freshly coiled wick on a mechanical mod with a fully charged 18650 battery. If I take short, sharp drags I sense the sweetness filling my mouth; I can taste apple and buttery pastry and on the exhalation, a very subtle hint of anise. Very subtle. When I begin to take slower, deeper drags, this is what I experience: on the inhalation I taste the familiar sweetness along the forward edge of my tongue with broad washes of apple passing through my mouth, along the length of my tongue to hit the back of my throat... which it does with some force. For that brief moment between inhaling and beginning to exhale, a mild tartness manifests. Then, as I begin to exhale, the apple flavour intensifies while secondary notes of a rich, buttery pastry and subtler notes of cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg reveal themselves.

The aftertaste is similar to that provoked by having eaten a baked apple. Throat hit is substantial, even for an 11mg vapour. It's more a case of that building pressure at the back of the throat type hit than the rasping kick you get with higher nicotine strength liquids. Vapour production is very good, though it disperses rather quickly.

When I first tasted this e-liquid I was blown away by the richness and fullness of flavour. As I've continued to vape it over the course of a week, my esteem for it has grown. It has a complexity of flavour, finely balanced that you don't often find in e-liquids. Having done a little DIY liquid mixing myself, I know how difficult it is to render anything worth talking about, so I have great respect for anyone who manages to mix an e-liquid that works. There are a few mixers ("cooks", alchemists, palates... what is the accepted term for mixers of e-liquids?) who have a great talent for producing extraordinary juices. The man or woman who does the job at Decadent Vapours is one of these people.  Sir, ma'am, you have a very fine palate.

I highly recommend this e-liquid. In fact, my wife and I will be purchasing a great deal of this stuff in future. That, my friends, is a seal of approval.